20090502

Trying to get by without my favorite file manager: Worker.

With a recent update to my Debian Sid setup, my file manager, Worker, has become unbearably slow. I couldn't use it anymore.

http://www.boomerangsworld.de/worker/

I have used mc in the past, but what kills me about it is that I can't configure the keyboard shortcuts. Half of the commands overlap with my window manager keyboard shortcuts. I suppose I could reconfigure my window manager, and I may yet go that route.

I'm still hoping that Ralf will fix Worker, and there's the way mentioned above. However, in the meantime, I thought it might be a good exercise to see if I could make working from the shell as comfortable as using Worker. I've started on some things in my .bashrc. Here they are; I'd be appreciative if anyone can tell me of similar tricks and other conveniences for making working with files and directories from the shell faster.

#-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
# file management and navigation

alias g="pushd"
alias b="popd"
alias gr="cd /"
alias gm="cd /media/disk1part3/renick/music/"
alias l='ls -a --group-directories-first | less -rn'
alias ls='ls -CF'
alias ll='ls -lahGp --color=always --group-directories-first | less -rn'
alias llt='ls -lahGpt --color=always --group-directories-first | less -rn'
alias lsd="ls -d */"
alias duh='du -h --max-depth=1 | less'
alias dus='du | sort -nr | less'
alias ..='cd ..'
alias ...='cd .. ; cd ..'

# system for making quick bookmarks
alias +1='echo ~+ > ~/.path1'
alias +2='echo ~+ > ~/.path2'
alias +3='echo ~+ > ~/.path3'
alias +4='echo ~+ > ~/.path4'
alias +5='echo ~+ > ~/.path5'
alias +6='echo ~+ > ~/.path6'
alias +7='echo ~+ > ~/.path7'
alias +8='echo ~+ > ~/.path8'
alias +9='echo ~+ > ~/.path9'
alias +0='echo ~+ > ~/.path0'
# go to the numbered bookmark
gg () { cd "$(cat ~/.path$1)"; }

alias yp='echo ~+ > ~/.yankedpath'
alias pp='cat ~/.yankedpath'

alias G='cd `pp`'

# extract any archive
xx () {
if [ -f $1 ] ; then
case $1 in
*.tar.bz2) tar xvjf $1 ;;
*.tar.gz) tar xvzf $1 ;;
*.bz2) bunzip2 $1 ;;
*.rar) unrar x $1 ;;
*.gz) gunzip $1 ;;
*.tar) tar xvf $1 ;;
*.tbz2) tar xvjf $1 ;;
*.tgz) tar xvzf $1 ;;
*.zip) unzip $1 ;;
*.Z) uncompress $1 ;;
*.7z) 7z x $1 ;;
*) echo "'$1' cannot be extracted via >extract<" ;;
esac
else
echo "'$1' is not a valid file"
fi
}

No comments: